May I present to you...Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray!
Isn't it gorgeous? Because it. Is. Gorgeous. Yes, I blew the picture up a little bit so that we all can see its beauty! This is the sequel to A Thousand Pieces of You, and put together, they look a little like this...
(By the way, if you haven't noticed because I haven't mentioned it yet, Ten Thousand Skies Above You is the sequel to A Thousand Pieces of You, and is the second book in Claudia Gray's Firebird series!)
Where to start with this cover?
1. The colors. The blue? The yellow? The bits of purple between the two? The orange and green elsewhere? Doesn't it simply speak MASTERPIECE?
2. I spy with my little eye...the Eiffel Tower. The Brooklyn Bridge? And a few other monuments that I probably should recognize but don't. I'm terrible at geography and world landmarks, I know. Help me out a little?
3. Hot air balloons. That's right. I can see hot air balloons. They are two, one on each side of the upper half of the cover. Have I ever mentioned how cool and awesome hot air balloons are? Because they are awesome.
4. The consistency. It resembles the first book cover, doesn't it? I really love the theme they're going with here. It really speaks to the whole "parallel dimensions" thing. You have two versions of a city, one right-side-up and the other invert upside-down. And you know that there somehow related to each other, given that they're both connected by the same ground line". The effect is amazing.
5. The title. Like the last one, it plays on the idea of parallel worlds, and gives the sense that yes, there actually are ten thousand other skies. People say that no matter where you are, we all live under the same sky, but in this case, that isn't necessarily true. It really makes you think about it, doesn't it? Especially if the skies are all just one layer after another, like the worlds...
Man, oh man, I cannot wait to read this book! Just marvelling at the amazing painting of a cover already has me dreaming of other dimensions! Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray comes out November 3rd, 2015, so get ready to dream up new dimensions and possibilities of the world on that day!
Official blurb, courtesy of Goodreads->http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17234659-ten-thousand-skies-above-you
Marguerite Caine has done the impossible, traveling to alternate dimensions with the Firebird—the brilliant invention of her parents, her boyfriend, Paul, and their friend Theo. But she has also caught the attention of enemies willing to kidnap, blackmail, and even kill to use the Firebird for themselves.
When Paul’s soul is splintered into four pieces—pieces that are trapped within Pauls in other dimensions—Marguerite will do anything, and travel anywhere, to save him. But the price of his safe return is steep. If she doesn’t sabotage her parents in multiple universes, Paul will be lost forever.
Unwilling to sacrifice her family, Marguerite enlists the brilliant Theo to help. The two forge a plan to save Paul and the Firebird, but succeeding means outsmarting a genius and risking not only their lives but also the lives of their counterparts in every other dimension.
Their mission takes them to the most dangerous universes yet: a war-torn San Francisco, the criminal underworld of New York City, and a glittering Paris where another Marguerite hides a shocking secret. Each leap brings Marguerite closer to saving Paul—but her journey reveals dark truths that lead her to doubt the one constant she’s found between the worlds: their love for each other.