LOOK AT THIS.
Allow me to squeal in delight. Because after I read The Young Elites, I was practically dying for the next one. I was like, "How on earth do you end a book like that and get away with it? Isn't there some rule about not tormenting the readers to death?" But with this out... We are one step closer to unveiling what becomes of Adelina!!!
I got to say, when I first found out what the title was, all I could see was: pink. Yes, pink, shame on me. But that's the general color I think of when I think of a rose. I knew, of course, that the cover would in no way be pink (it's a pretty dark novel, and pink would totally kill the tone), so I was curious to see what it would look like. Also because I needed something to associate the book to other than simply pink.
But now that we have a cover...
1. That. Wolf. Do you see the effects they did with it? One side is more animalistic, and the other is more...ghostly. I love it! I think it portrays Adelina quite nicely, how though she's damaged and dangerous, those two sides never truly mix...
2. The "o" in Rose. In The Young Elites, the "t" in Elites was a dagger. I'm not quite sure what the "o" is (medallion? Shield?), but I'm glad that they're still sticking to the one-letter-becomes-an-object theme.
3. The water. Do you not see the cascade of water? And if I recall correctly, in this world, people compare beauty to both the moon and water. So with all that water, you know this is going to be a beautiful book. Also, the crashing of waves, the pure power of water. It's just so good.
4. The color pallet. This is really different from the first book, where it was all dark blue and black. I think with the sudden lighter colors (but no deadlier images), it says that change is coming. Maybe Adelina can finally start to have a slightly, oh, I don't know, lighter heart and personality? Not as violent? Become kinder? Food for thought.
5. The setting. We're both at sea and sky with this cover. In the first book, we had simply the sky, but now we're a little more grounded by water.
The Rose Society by Marie Lu comes out October 6th, 2015! Make sure to check it out, because there is bound to be some seriously dark and deadly parts!
Official blurb, courtesy of Goodreads->http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23429332-the-rose-society
Once upon a time, a girl had a father, a prince, a society of friends. Then they betrayed her, and she destroyed them all.
Adelina Amouteru’s heart has suffered at the hands of both family and friends, turning her down the bitter path of revenge. Now known and feared as the White Wolf, she and her sister flee Kenettra to find other Young Elites in the hopes of building her own army of allies. Her goal: to strike down the Inquisition Axis, the white-cloaked soldiers that murdered her love, the Crown Prince Enzo Valenciano.
But Adelina is no heroine. Her powers, fed only by fear and hate, have started to grow beyond her control. She does not trust her newfound Elite friends. Teren Santoro, leader of the Inquisition, wants her dead. And her former friends, Raffaele and the Dagger Society, want to stop her thirst for vengeance. Adelina struggles to cling to the good within her. But how can someone be good, when her very existence depends on darkness?