Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Thief of Lies Review: Gia

Book: Thief of Lies
Author: Brenda Drake
Series: Library Jumpers #1
Genre: YA fantasy
Source: Physical Copy
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pages: 400
Release: January 5th 2015



Goodreads

Gia Kearns would rather fight with boys than kiss them. That is, until Arik, a leather clad hottie in the Boston Athenaeum, suddenly disappears. While examining the book of world libraries he abandoned, Gia unwittingly speaks the key that sucks her and her friends into a photograph and transports them into a Paris library, where Arik and his Sentinels—magical knights charged with protecting humans from the creatures traveling across the gateway books—rescue them from a demonic hound.

Jumping into some of the world's most beautiful libraries would be a dream come true for Gia, if she weren’t busy resisting her heart or dodging an exiled wizard seeking revenge on both the Mystik and human worlds. Add a French flirt obsessed with Arik and a fling with a young wizard, and Gia must choose between her heart and her head, between Arik's world and her own, before both are destroyed.



Dream: to visit all the famous libraries of the world. Maybe discover a secret in one of those libraries, and become part of something bigger. Aka the premise of this book!

Gia Kearns's life changes when she and her friends accidentally get swept up to a completely different part of the world when she bumps into a mysterious young man during an innocent trip to the library. Soaring across famous library to famous library across the world, Gia discovers a world of magic, creatures, and powerful prophecies. As she struggles to make sense how she fits into all of it, she must figure out who to trust, because someone very much wants to use her for evil purposes.

Our protagonist, Gia, begins the book off with a lot of uncertainty. She has no idea what's going on. Her first instinct is survival for herself and for her friends. As the book progresses, we see Gia slowing coming to terms with who she is, and trying to puzzle together the mysteries of strange visions and dreams she begins to have. What I particularly liked about Gia was her dedication to her home, and how torn she was to find out she had to leave her old life. Her realization that she should have taken her family more seriously really struck home the "you don't know what you have until it's gone" message.

Arik was an interesting character to read about. He has a past that we only touch upon, but whatever has happened, it's made him a fierce and determined leader of his group of Sentinels. Arik wasn't the wicked bad-boy type I was expecting. He was more of the sacrificing type, the kind who always is one left to make the hard decisions. But his concern for everyone's safety really shone through, and he generally tries his hardest to protect the rest of his team the best he can.

My favourite character has to be Bastien. He goes through quite a lot in this novel, and his initial relationship with Arik was hilarious to read about. Bastien to me was the character with the most promise of complexity, especially since he's very good at downscaling his emotions. He begins off with complete certainty, and even when he's faced with hardships, he puts on a brave face and continues on. There's a lot of emotional turmoil going on for him, but he masks it perfectly, which only fuels my desire my desire to unmask him and want to see his emotions. He's not the "best friend," he's the general "good guy" who's doing what's right to protect himself and his people. Honestly, who wouldn't like him?

The beginning of this book was sort of a slow burn for me, with relationships and character development dragging on a bit. The world building seemed slightly erratic, with spurts of information occurring at certain times. Similarly, I felt that the beginning of the novel took off much too quickly, without a proper chance to really get to know Gia and connect to her before she was thrown to the wolves. But all these issues were quickly solved once the ball got rolling, and I enjoyed the second half of the novel a lot more. Plus, we got some beautiful descriptions of various libraries, and it literally was like we were in the libraries themselves. Add to this that books are literally portals, with world in-between, and that you can go to various libraries across the world? Never underestimate the power of books and libraries, and the secrets they all can hold! 

The language of some of the characters threw me off. I'm not really a fan of "written" accents, since it basically points out the fact that this is all from a very American standpoint, and depicts French or Irish characters and accents as "other." It grated on my nerves, but it couldn't be helped. I do appreciate the diverse cast of characters, though, as the novel has a global setting. I'm hoping we'll also be able to explore the different cultures of the locations the libraries are in the next book!

The magic system in this novel is quite fascinating. You have normal creatures (fey, werewolves, etc.) but on the human aspect, you have witches, wizards, and Sentinels, all with varying levels of magic. For Sentinels like Gia and Arik, they have these neat globes as magic. Every Sentinel has a light globe (which is a ball of light, as the name suggests), and then they each have their own battle globe, which is a ball of affinity magic. Each Sentinel has one kind of battle globe, the affinity if it depending on the Sentinel. The affinities are all nature based, including fire (Arik's), water, air, electricity, and so forth. It's all a very original take on magic, and I've never really read anything like this before! I definitely want battle globes of my own, just so that I can hurl balls of magic at people. And like every good fantasy, Sentinels also fight with weapons and magic, so there was no short of action!

All in all, a very promising debut. The beginning was a little rocky for me, but it thankfully smoothed out. I'm curious to know what happens in the next one!





13 comments:

  1. Ahh Erika, I'm so glad you liked this! I'm kinda not surprised that the beginning was rocky for you (despite never having read this book) because it's fantasy - for me, fantasy books are always really rocky at the start, because they can be info dumpy? But yeah haha that's probably just me xD
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, Corralling Books! I see you comment sometimes, but I never knew you had a blog until you friended me on Goodreads haha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I should be thanking you for dropping by my blog! It's not as nice as yours, but it's my small place of book rants xD

      Delete
  2. Ooo so glad you enjoyed this one despite a slow beginning. I have heard that about the beginning, but it seems like a great book once you get past that. I can't wait to read this one myself sometime. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the beginning was a little slow for me, but once I got past that, it was an easy read! Hope you'll pick it up soon!

      Delete
  3. Ooh the plot sounds really interesting! I usually lose my patience with books with slow burn, but it seems to get way better after that, so I might give it a try. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I was beginning to lose my patience with it too, but thankfully it smoothed over! It's kind of a mix between lots of fantasy books, like The Mortal Instruments and a few others, so it's quite neat.

      Delete
  4. I can definitely agree with you about this being a rocky start to a series, it was one that I slowly had to love and in order to do that I had to overlook some things - especially the use of the word 'fancy' I can't, it makes me cringe, I have no idea why! hahaha.
    I love your dream and share it, why can we to just travel all over the world and visit the libraries? I was incredibly jealous of this in the book, why oh why can it not be true :(
    Ahhh you love Bastien ;) yayayayay, isn't he dreamy? Oh he's like the character I think your supposed to hate but the more I knew about him the more intrigued I was. I was also slightly annoyed with Gia because of the way she acted towards him sometimes, it was a little cruel :(
    I'm so glad you it enjoyed it in the end, it was a tricky one for my to review but I have hope that book 2 will be better, I also seen a preview of Bastien and oh my, you will like it ;) I must send you the link!

    Fantastically detailed review Erika, let's pray book 2 will be brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in total agreement with you! It was a bit of a rocky start, but I'm glad it was smoothed over, though the language bugged me a bit. Yes, I'm in love with Bastien, you can have Arik muahaha <3 Oooh, do send me that preview of Bastien! I don't mind having him more in my life hahaha

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to hear you liked this Erika! this has been yet another book that's been on my radar but that I'm not anxious to pick up. By the way, I nominated you for the Liebster Award on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you! I'll get to it when I have the time :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! And there's no rush. :D

      Delete
  6. Really happy to hear you enjoyed this book! I've been looking forward for it since day one, and sadly, I still haven't got the chance to read it, but I'm dying to! Thanks for the great review, now, after knowing there's so much magic involved, I even feel more motivated to read it when I have the chance to!

    Great review!

    ~L. @ Reading Against Time ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! I really hope you'll get the chance to pick it up one of these days, as it's a very interesting story! :)

      Delete