Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Review: Defy Me by Tahereh Mafi

Book: Defy Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me #5
Publication: April 2, 2019



The gripping fifth installment in the New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling Shatter Me series. Will Juliette’s broken heart make her vulnerable to the strengthening darkness within her?

Juliette’s short tenure as the supreme commander of North America has been an utter disaster. When the children of the other world leaders show up on her doorstep, she wants nothing more than to turn to Warner for support and guidance. But he shatters her heart when he reveals that he’s been keeping secrets about her family and her identity from her—secrets that change everything.

Juliette is devastated, and the darkness that’s always dwelled within her threatens to consume her. An explosive encounter with unexpected visitors might be enough to push her over the edge.



After that BOMBSHELL of an ending in Restore Me, I was literally dying to get my hands on this book. And then I read Shadow Me (the novella that happens in-between Restore Me and this book) and I was revived. 

I have one word: KENJI. Kenji! Gets! A! POV!

He had a POV in Shadow Me, but this was the first time he had an actual POV in a full book. It's not just Juliette and Warner anymore; Kenji's in too, and honest to god, he was literally the best part of the book. I just loved being in his head and experiencing all his reactions, because they are so entertaining and just so endearing.

There isn't really too much I can say about the book without giving away spoilers (I mean...the synopsis literally speaks of nothing. Nothing about the plot, nothing about the major cliffhanger it picks up on, nothing! So how on earth am I supposed to talk about it without giving away major plot points?). What I will say is that there were both aspects I did and did not expect. Warner and Juliette were separated for the majority of the book, which I wasn't quite expecting. We got a few twists that I didn't see coming, though one of them I felt was a bit forced. But it's definitely a key driving plot force, so I'll roll with it.

Kenji's romantic development with Nazeera was extremely cute in a funny way. They obviously still have some stuff to works out. Nazeera herself revealed quite a bit of information that I hadn't been expecting, but it definitely lated down the groundwork for the final conclusion in the next book. 

Argh, there's so little I can say without spoiling the entire storyline! I mentioned a cliffhanger from the last book, right? Yeah. If you haven't read the previous book, there's very little I can say. Basically, some dead people aren't dead any more, some people go missing, some people become dead. Just read the book!





No comments:

Post a Comment